11.10.2013

Project Wes' Nursery

When we discovered we were expecting last fall, we promptly switched our winter renovation project from our front entry way to our two extra bedrooms. We had already replaced the windows and refinished the floors in these rooms, but both rooms still needed completely gutted down to the studs, re-wired, re-insulated, and put back together.  The project sounded pretty straight forward, but we know that is never the case with this house.

The heat source on the second floor of our house is radiant heat through copper pipes in the ceiling. We needed to gut the ceilings due to previous water damage, but we wanted to preserve the heating system during the process. This proved to be quite a challenge, as the pipes were encased in the plaster ceiling, and surrounded by a metal mesh sheet. Matt literally had to chizzle the plaster ceiling away around each pipe. Case in point:

,



After many hours of manual labor, the nursery was completely gutted, and ready to be reconstructed.
















In line with our goals of modernizing this house, we decided to finish the rooms with trimless windows, flush baseboards and a floor to ceiling door. We love this clean look and it also enables the small 12' x 12' room to feel more spacious and open, without the excess trim.





Since the room is small, we had a built-in closet installed by the Closet Factory, to match the closets we installed in our bedroom when we moved in. This helped me get by without having a dresser in the small room.




Soon my empty shell was ready to fill; the fun part could begin! The Kalon Studios box I had been looking at for months was opened and the Caravan Crib was assembled. We ordered the crib in the raw option, so we needed to paint the spindles and oil the wood ourselves. We used Sherwin Williams Aqueduct 6758, which I matched to the blue in the Dwell Studios Zebra Head. I love how the color turned out! My other favorite part of the room is the rug. We cut our 'Rake Me Over' Flor tiles on a diagonal and pieced them back together to create the zig zag pattern. 


















Last piece to add to this project was Wesley Stone Harbert; born on June 14, 2013, our five year wedding anniversary.


1 comment:

  1. Love it!! That crib is great - and I love that you painted the teal accent color into it! And Wesley is sooo adorable :) Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete