11.30.2009

Carpetbaggers


No history lesson here.  Just some more detailed photos of how each room looked before we started.  After closing on the house, Hannah and I went straight over and spent a few hours removing all of the carpet.  The floors are in decent shape--concrete on the first floor, and maple on the second.  Both will need some work, but no more than was expected.  I'll post the sans-carpet photos soon.








11.19.2009

Time For a Facelift



We have been contemplating some ways to improve the "curb appeal" of the house. We did some brainstorming and, with the aid of Google SketchUp, created images of a few of the options we have considered. We have settled on the idea shown above, which would involve adding a cantilever to the front of the roof (and potentially the right side too) as well as adding a similar roof structure above the front entry, between the first and second stories. At this point we can't afford new siding (our dream is to have natural cedar) so we've opted to scrape and paint the existing "board and batten" siding, but that won't happen until next spring.
Here are the rejects: